3.6.11

Taco Buses

As a southern Californian by birth and a world traveler by trade, I love eating things from places that seem a little bit sketchy, especially if those things happen to be Mexican food. I am also really surprised that itty bitty Rexburg boasts the same amount of taco buses as several larger cities I’ve been too. Being the purist/enthusiast that I am, I immediately hit up the three locales I could find. Rumor has it there is a forth, but it is another branch of one of the buses, so I haven’t tried too hard to find it, since I know the original all too well. I judge my Mexican restaurants by the lesser known (in this country) tacos al pastor. It’s basically marinated pork, and if it is well done, there is nothing better, and it is that standard that I have judged the buses. So, without further ado:

Tacos Iz Cali
Currently located near Broulims and Cajun Bob’s, on Main Street

This is the smallest of the Mexican buses, technically being a truck. The first time I went here, I had to wait in line behind a Mexican family. That was a huge sign of promise – surely it would be the real deal. I was super excited, and for good reason. I was feeling adventurous, so I ordered not one, but two tacos. When I got my al pastor, I excitedly bit in. Not quite the most magnificent – the pork was a little dry, but it was spicier than expected (a good thing) and definitely flavorsome. The other taco was with chunks of beef, and that my friend, is their money taco. They also do a real good chicken. Both have excellently prepared meat – rather well done, as is the Latin way (and the best way), with some cilantro and onion – nothing fancy, but it was dang good, mos def.


Taquería La Parilla
Near the Tesoro Gas Station past Wal-Mart

This is the newest taco bus establishment. True to form, I ordered my taco al pastor. While the meat was non-descript, the taco was piled on with salsa, lime, and radish. Most places just put it on the side. The prices were reasonable, the variety was plentiful (and there is a bilingual menu on the side of the window) and the food was good, just not special. The salsa was actually quite good though - a pleasant and subtle kick, with a dominant flavor. I liked it.

Tacos Tepito
Located on 2nd E, past Papa Murphy’s, but before Wal-Mart, on that side of the road

This is the first taco bus I visited, and as such it has certain nostalgia. It probably won’t be as nostalgic for you, but that’s okay – you just want tacos. I actually haven’t had tacos here – Tepito serves a mean torta, and so that’s my usual order. I lived in Argentina a couple of years, and down there, torta translates to cake. Tacos Tepito taught me that in Mexico, and probably most Central American countries, torta means sandwich/burger. If a taco and burger had a baby, that baby would be named torta, and would probably be delicious. You’ve got to order one to understand. Their tortas are well prepared, although the meat is a tad on the dry side – just a tad. There is a certain amount of grease and juices, so it’s not the cleanest thing I’ve ever eaten, but certainly not the messiest. It is however satisfyingly filling, and worth the wait in prep time. They can also give you some salsa, but it doesn’t need anything extra – pick up a torta and just have at it.

Tacos El Rancho
located near the Round About, past Tuscany and around Frontier Pies

I saved the best for last. My most favorite taco bus, these guys lived up to the Al Pastor standard. They also serve lengua, or cow tongue, which is far more awesome than it sounds. They will serve burritos, mulitos, quesadillas, tortas, and tacos, but I always get my tacos here. It’s even a great date place since you can sit inside and enjoy Mexican soap operas, soccer games, or each other’s company while you wait. I had a date once where I ordered cow tongue in Spanish, and then shared that with her. Once she said it was good, I told her what it was. Much to my surprise, she went out with me on a second, and then some more, date(s). And she’ll probably remember me forever, once the topic of cow tongue is brought up. But that’s a rant for a different time. I’ll start with the cow tongue – they serve it chopped up into tiny, non-tongue shaped chunks, so it looks completely harmless, unless you look real close. It is prepared well done, but is still tender and juicy. Honestly it reminds me of pot roast. I ordered it once out of curiosity, and a hundred times more because it is dang good. And their pastor is fantastico. The pork is marinated, and while not saucy, it has taken on the flavors of whatever they put it in (it could possibly be a dry rub, so I won’t call it sauce). It is softly spicy, enough that your tongue just senses the bite, but it doesn’t hurt your mouth, it doesn’t bring tears, it’s near negligible. Normally I demand more of a kick, but here, it merely accents the flavor of the meat – kind of like black pepper on macaroni and cheese or something. It’s there but it doesn’t impose. The rest of the pastor is an Italian meets Mexican taco flavor. My mouth waters just writing about it. And the best thing is, your taco order comes with four tacos, and they don’t have to be the same taco, so you can mix it up. A mulito by the way (mentioned above) is a taco with another tortilla over top, like a sandwich. It’s still good. This bus is in my top 10 for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment