24.6.11

Frontier Pies

Located passed the roundabout near Yellowstone highway and Les Schwab

I avoided going to Frontier Pies for a long time. I felt it would be the ultimate assimilation into Rexburg, and I just couldn’t do that. But then I did. I went for Pie. I love pie. I’m not made of stone. The first thing I saw when I walked in was a man walking around wearing a coon skin cap. I laughed. The interior is very quaint and rustic. Log Cabin style walls, the tables are in booths named after small towns like Ashton, and the decorations are old photographs and saws. Water is served in mason jars in true bachelor/Rocky Mountain fashion.
One of the patrons remarked that it smelled like Grandma. Or maybe like Grandma’s house… whichever one smells like chicken pot pie. I didn’t try the real food there; I went specifically for pie and corn bread. I did see though that the menu had liver and onions. This is an old fashioned style eatery. The pie comes by the slice or by the whole pie. If you’re daring, you can get your pie warmed up and with ice cream. They make their pies every morning, so there is a risk your pie will be gone, but not likely. I had blueberry, and tried the Dutch apple, which is my new favorite. Dutch apple pie is normal apple pie with wooden shoes and delicious crumblys on top. Both pies were very sweet, the slices were big, and the ice cream was creamy. It was a really good slice of pie. The corn bread was also quite good. It was served with honey butter, and the corn bread itself had a honeyesque taste – it was sweeter cornbread than most recipes. All in all, the assimilation risk is sort of worth the pie. I’m still just a visitor in this town though – I didn’t eat the liver and onions or any of the real food. I just went for pie I swear.

2 comments:

  1. You need to post a star type rating. Or at least a 1-10. Give ppl a better idea. Otherwise interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try the food there! It's perfect if you like hearty homestyle American food like chicken pot pie and chicken-fried steak.

    ReplyDelete