3.6.11

Gringo’s Mexican Restaurant

on Center Street, near the Paramount Twin (cheap theater)

Gringo’s is probably the fanciest restaurant in Rexburg. It’s been around longer than many of our beloved eateries, and has proven to be quite popular. People dress up nicely to go there, and I’ve seen it full as much as I’ve seen Sammy’s full. But let’s take a moment to think about this. A Mexican restaurant named Gringo’s? What does a gringo know about preparing decent Mexican food? I know much about eating it, but wouldn’t claim to make it well enough to name a Mexican restaurant after myself. I was skeptical. Also, it’s kind of pricey as far as entrees go. True to form, I ordered my taco al pastor, though I don’t think it was labeled as such. I think they just called it pork on the menu. They brought out chips and salsa. I love chips and salsa. They asked what intensity I wanted – hot, mild, medium, and I think there was a fourth one. The mild salsa is probably their best tasting, though the others were good too. Gringo’s does an excellent salsa. The meal came out, and came complete with a side of refried beans (awesome) and rice (I’ve never been a fan of Mexican restaurant style rice). But the awesome, I’m sad to admit, ended there. Maybe I’m a purist, maybe I’m too experienced when it comes to eating, and perhaps my regional palate is too sophisticated for Idaho, but Gringo’s isn’t good. I hate to say mean things about a business that isn’t mean to me, but their food was sub mediocre. The pork was bland, their refried beans were bland, and that rice is never delicious. I didn’t know food could be that boring, but it was almost entirely non descript. It wasn’t even awful to the point of fun adjective, it was just boring. And expensive. Their appetizers and good, and there seemed to be promise with the desserts, but the entrees are strictly meh. I’m sorry Señor Gringo. I can’t do that again.

3 comments:

  1. If you do ever end up going back, I would recommend to you the sweet pork street tacos. I seriously love that meal. I have to go at least once a month for it, and it's actually one of the cheaper meals there! Perfect right?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation. I've been out of Rexburg for a while, but if I'm ever back I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recommendation. I've been out of Rexburg for a while, but if I'm ever back I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete